Grua, Tupper & Young traces its history to three long established Lansing Law Firms. The first, then known as Sigler and Anderson, was originally founded in 1950 by former Michigan Governor, Kim Sigler and his legal advisor, V.C. Anderson. It subsequently became "Anderson, Carr and Street" when Leland W. Carr, Jr. and Cassius E. Street, Jr., became partners. Remo Mark Grua associated with the firm in 1976. For many years the firm served as legal counsel for Michigan State University. After the retirement of Leland Carr the firm became known as Street & Grua.
In 1996, Street and Grua merged its practice with a second long established firm, "Maire & Young." Jonathan Maire and Timothy Young had practiced law together since 1981. The 1996 combined firms became known as Street, Grua, Maire & Young. Cassius Street retired from the firm in 1996 and Jonathan Maire retired in 2000.
In 2000, James S. Jamo joined the firm. Jim has since been elected as a Judge of the Ingham County Circuit Court. Carrie S. Ihrig joined the firm in 2007. Thomas M. Tupper became a member of the firm in 2011. David J. Williams and Amanda J. Thompson joined the firm in 2016.
Martindale-Hubbell, a national law directory, has given Grua, Tupper & Young, P.L.C., its highest rating for law firms (AV). Grua, Tupper & Young is also registered in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys. Martindale-Hubbell utilizes professional peer review and is the legal profession's most widely recognized rating system.